You will love these 4 soy milk hot chocolate recipes this winter
We’re not sure about the weather where you are, but here at the Chambers family farm, winter has definitely arrived.
As the snow covers the ground, the wind swirls and temperatures plummet, we are always looking for ways to enjoy the comfort of our homes and bask in the coziness of our holiday season traditions.
One of the best traditions this time of year is grabbing a cup of warm hot chocolate. Obviously, we are big fans of dairy-free hot chocolate with delicious soy milk made from Laura® Soybeans.
Now, there are many ways to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate – and we are always on the lookout for great recipes. So, we figured we would share with you some new recipes that you can try next time you want to snuggle up under a blanket or by the fireplace.
Why hot chocolate with soy milk is best
Let’s start by explaining why hot chocolate made with soybeans is better than hot chocolate that contains dairy products, such as milk.
First of all, one of the benefits of cow’s milk is the protein. But did you know that you can get just as much protein from soy milk as you can cow’s milk? In fact, you can get all that protein in soy milk and ditch the calories than whole cow’s milk.
Soy is also an excellent way to make sure you include enough potassium, calcium and many types of vitamins in your diet, including vitamins A, B-12 and D.
We have also repeatedly pointed out the many health benefits of soy milk in blogs posts like this one.
Additionally, of all the plant-based dairy milk alternatives, soy milk is the most nutritious when compared to cow’s milk.
Now, let’s get to the delicious hot chocolate recipes.
Laura® Hot Chocolate recipe
We’ll share a few recipes from elsewhere, but we’re pretty proud of this easy and truly tasty hot chocolate recipe of our own.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 cup cacao powder or dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
Combine the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Then, blend or pulse until they are well-mixed. You can use right away or store for later.
Once ready to serve, heat one cup of soy milk and add two to three tablespoons of the mixture. Stir and top it off with chocolate chips (optional).
The Edgy Veg’s Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
This hot chocolate recipe from The Edgy Veg is very quick and easy to make. It’s simple and can be enjoyed by everyone.
All you need as far as ingredients go are:
- Soy milk
- Dairy-free, dark chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan marshmallows (optional)
- Use a small saucepan to heat the soy milk over medium heat. Whisk the milk constantly to prevent burning.
- While heating the milk, place the chocolate in a microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolate and then place it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Once it’s hot, pour the soy milk into a blender and add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract. Blend on high
- Pour and enjoy. You can add the vegan marshmallows on top if you want. The Edgy Veg also suggests dairy-free whipped cream as a topping.
Vegan Hot Chocolate
Loving It Vegan has a wonderful hot chocolate recipe that they say is “basically one step up from pure chocolate” and that it takes like you are “drinking liquid chocolate.”
Sounds great to us! We should note that this recipe doesn’t call for a specific plant-based milk, but of course, we recommend soy milk for the most delicious flavor.
Now, here is what you need for this recipe:
- Melted vegan chocolate
- Cocoa powder
- Soy milk
- Brown sugar
- Vegan whipped cream
- Heat the soy milk in a saucepan and add some cocoa.
- Whisk constantly until the soy milk begins to simmer.
- Next, add vegan chocolate and melt it into the milk.
- Add to your favorite holiday mug, add brown sugar to your personal taste and then top it off with some vegan whipped cream.
Soy milk hot chocolate
Our fourth recipe for soy milk hot chocolate for you to try comes from Thrifty Foods. This recipe caught our eye because it’s fast (only takes five minutes) and they spiced it up with a little bit of cinnamon. Of course, it’s also dairy-free and vegetarian.
Here is what you will need to make this recipe for soy milk hot chocolate:
- 3 cups of soy milk
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- An optional pinch of cinnamon
- 20 mini marshmallows, also optional
- Place the milk in a pot and then heat it over medium heat until it is hot but not scalding.
- Stif the milk from time to time to keep skin from forming on the top and milk sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the cocoa, sugar and the cinnamon, if desired, and mix until the sugar is dissolved and the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in.
- From there, simply pour into a mug and – optionally – top it all off with marshmallows.
Need a soy milk recipe?
Perhaps you are looking at these recipes and want to try them but aren’t what soy milk to use. Well, here at Laura® Soybeans, we believe homemade DIY soy milk is best – and the best soy milk comes from Laura® Soybeans.
Homemade soy milk is also easy to make and just as delicious as any you might find in a store. Did you know that DIY soy milk is also healthier, too? That’s because it does not contain the high amounts of sugar, other sweeteners and additives that you will find in the store-bought brands.